You Have Given Notice, Now What?
We hate to see you go, but here is some important information about your MOVE OUT.
What to Do Before You Move Out
Cleaning Your Unit
To get the most possible refund, your unit must be clean. Here are our expectations
You will be contacted about a maintenance inspection shortly. This has nothing to do with your security deposit refund. This is simply our maintenance staff reviewing your unit in advance of your move out. We like to plan ahead in regards to repair items, flooring replacement and paint. Again, it is simply for our file to help with planning once you move out. You do not need to be present for this.
Keep in mind that all showings are attended by an IPM team member. We will be working on pre-leasing your home which means that we will need to set up showings. We work with a program called Show Mojo. You will receive an e-mail or a text message alerting you that a showings has been set up for a certain day and time (24-hours or more, in advance). You do not need to be present at showings, but feel free to be there if you feel more comfortable that way. We will also aim to limit showings to once a week, but exceptions might need to be made.
There are times, prior to your move out, where we need to place a lock box at your location. This is only done when you have given notice of move-out and we need to have access to home for showings, maintenance planning and repairs. Keep in mind that this work will be done after you have vacated the premises.
You will be given notice if it needs to be used
The only time this lock box will be used while you are still living in the home will be for showings and maintenance inspections. You will get an e-mail at least 24 hours in advance of any showings. The lock box allows us to enter the home even if you are not available to be there.
A pre-inspection is an optional meeting
with an IPM staff at your property at the time of move out, or before. If you wish to schedule this, it must be during our normal business hours. We're happy to do this for you, as long as you request it 30 days before your move out AND it is scheduled at least 14 days prior to your move out.
Otherwise, you can simply leave keys are instructed below.
The staff that meets you does not have any authority over your deposit, nor can make any claims, promises or statements regarding your deposit.
What a pre-inspection will do:
- Provide time to answer questions about your Move in Checklist
- Allow you to communicate what items need repair
What a pre-inspection will not do:
- Give you a definitive list of damages
- Tell you the cost to repair any damages
- Tell you how much deposit will be returned
- Change anything related to your refund or itemized charges
- Is not a time to turn in keys
- It is not a "walk-through". We do not do tenant-present walkthroughs
Please contact the office for these questions.
What To Do At Move Out Time!
You can deliver keys to our office, in person or by mail, on your move out day. You may be charged rent for each day keys are not returned after your vacancy date. We recommend you simply leave them in your locked unit.
Learn How About Security Deposit Refunds
We want to return as much as your deposit as we can! It's our promise to you. In fact, getting your security deposit back is easy. Just leave the place no worse than when you moved in. For our cleanliness expectations, please review our detailed cleaning instructions.
Your deposit is meant to be used for substantial cleaning, repairs, or specific neglect or at-fault situations, such as a large holes you created or burns in the carpet from when you knocked over some candles. Here's what you need to know to get your security deposit back:
We are unable to give cost estimates when doing pre-inspection and walkthroughs. By law we must charge you any ACTUAL COSTS for itemized items, which of course we don't have yet.
We are unable to give cost estimates when doing a pre-inspection or walkthrough.
By law we must charge you any ACTUAL COSTS for itemized items, which of course we don't have yet.
Deposits are mailed 21 days from your move out date. We have no ablity to print them in our Chico office. They come in equal checks to all tenants on the lease (including Pet Deposits). At this time you will be emailed an itemized list of charges and any credits (such as rent refunds), if applicable including receipts and invoices. By law we must mail your check to your forwarding address. We will not know your refund amount until your check is mailed.
Make sure that we have a forwarding address on file for you.
Clean your place well based on our detailed instructions
What to Expect
You will be charged for:
- Carpet cleaning, as this is required by law and your lease. We will hire van unit to do this.
- Any unpaid rent and late charges
- Holes in the wall where painting is required
- Painting as allowed by law per your tenancy
- For professional cleaning, unless cleaned per above specifications.
- Dead Batteries, Light bulbs, Missing Devices
- Hauling, which includes anything you leave behind that has to be removed
- Pet damages. (we check walls for scrapes, doors, carpet stains, etc.)
- All other damages not present on move in.
- Don't Clean the Carpets: Let us coordinate this, as we get a bulk rate. If you clean them and they aren't clean enough you may get charged anyway. If you have chosen to take care of this yourself, we will need a copy of the receipt before you move out.
- Don't Patch or Paint: Unless you are professional, you may be making more work for us which translates to higher costs for you.
- Don't Hire Cleaners: Just let us hire a cleaning crew. Do your best getting it clean and let us do the rest. Again, if you have chosen to take care of this yourself, we will need a copy of the receipt before you move out.